Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Who is this man and why is he in my house????

I don't think I ever really explained what my life has been like the past 7.5 weeks. In May, my husband switched to the night shift at work. He left the house at 4:15 p.m. and returned at 8:00 a.m. 7 days a week. I would see him for 1-5 minutes when I got home from work in the afternoon and on weekends, I would see him before he would go to bed in the morning and again before he left for work in the afternoon. This should have been a 4 week schedule but that was extended to 7.5 weeks.

This sucked. Aside from the fact that I am a bit codependent and love being around my husband, I hate being in the house at night alone. In the 1.5 years we have lived in our house, I only spent 1 night there alone. And now I was looking at being there alone for 4 (turning into 7.5) weeks. The first few weeks were tough. I had a really hard time falling asleep at night. Every noise I would hear would cause me to sit straight up in bed, eyes wide and ready to attack. Attack what with what? I have no idea. There was nobody or nothing there. I started to go to bed early (like before the sun would set) and leaving the house at 3:30 to go the gym was actually my saving grace because it would mean I would be out of the house. I felt safer in my gym than in my house. I'm so weird.

But that wasn't the low point of my insanity and paranoia. That came when I decided that I needed some sort of device to block the front door and the sliding glass door. You know, so if someone tried to break in, I could hear it first the police? hide in the closet? Again, I didn't have a plan but it sounded good at the time. So one night, I came up with the genius idea to put the vacuum cleaner in front of the door along with a paint can. I also wedged a baseball bat between the wall and the sliding glass door. My husband pointed out how dumb that was because it someone did break in, they would have a weapon. So true but I kept it there anyways. I felt safer. And Chris got home early one weekend morning before I had to chance to move the stuff out of the way. Guess what? I totally heard the door opening!! I was so ready to jump into ass-kicking action.

The good news is, as of this morning, my husband is DONE with night shift work. He is taking a few days off to readjust to being on a normal schedule and I am so so so so happy to have him back at home with me in the evenings and awake on the weekends so we can do things together. I already emailed him a list of things he can do around the house during his time off! I'm sure he deleted that right away but I'm annoying so I'll just resend it every day. I'm sure getting used to being around each other on weekends and in the evenings will take some time but he is generally awesome so I'm looking forward to having my husband back.


The Jesse said...

i totally have a hard time sleeping when my husband is gone too. he just got home from being gone camping for 5 days! i slept with a baseball bat in my bed, my bedroom door locked, two wooden sticks in the track in the sliding glass door, all the windows closed and locked and the house alarm on instant!

Sweet Bean said...

I have sooooo been there sister! I totally get it! Glad you survived the 7.5 weeks... here's to surviving him being back! ;)