Monday, August 8, 2011

New York Day 2

Thursday was a big day for our trip. We had lots to see and I was very excited to start our day. We walked down to Rockefeller Center to get a daytime view of New York City from the Top of the Rock. But before that, we wandered over to NBC News studios....







After catching a glimpse of Matt, we went into the NBC Experience Store. We were in heaven. Totally could have spent our entire life savings in that store. IMG_2923

IMG_2927 IMG_2926

Finally, it was time to go to the top, so we went into the building and braced for lines. We had a 8:55 a.m. timed entry ticket and we were so happy when we sailed right through to the elevators! It was a bit hazy and humid that morning so there was a layer of haze trying to ruin my pictures! IMG_2960





We left Rockefeller Center and took the subway down to the World Trade Center site. I wanted to get there well before the 11 tour started so we would be assured tickets. We got there at about 10:20 and all tours were available so we purchased tickets and walked around the visitors center where I proceeded to cry my eyes out looking at the artifacts collected from the families of the victims. This was so moving and something that everyone who visits New York should make time to do. Here are pictures from the tour:

Memorial for firefighters lost on 9/11
If you see the huge rectangle in this picture, that is the footprint from one of the towers. That will now be the memorial reflecting pool and waterfalls.

IMG_2981 IMG_2980 
The new Tower One that will be 1776 ft upon completion.


This is the memorial that American Express created for 11 of its employees that were working at the WTC and lost their lives. The crystal is carved on 11 sides and 11 drops of water drop from the ceiling to represent the tears. It is a beautiful memorial.

We ate lunch at the World Financial Center building among hundreds of executive types on their lunch break. Seeing the hustle and bustle going on was fun! We took the subway back up to our hotel area except that I had an important stop to make. I told Chris to go back to the hotel since this was a place I wanted to visit alone since I knew he would be bored!

 Dylan's Candy Shop! I was at home there. :) I love candy and this store didn't disappoint. It was a bit pricey but I didn't care. I got some candy and headed upstairs to the cafe and got a scoop of mint ice cream (it was blue in honor of the Smurfs). I walked back to the hotel a happy girl. After a short nap, we got dressed and couldn't find a cab so we walked .7 miles to dinner and the highlight of the trip....

 I totally snuck this picture when the ushers weren't looking. The Book of Mormon (the musical) was the funniest, greatest thing I have ever seen with my two eyes. I haven't stopped listening to the cast recording since. I love it and hope it becomes a traveling show so I can see it again if it comes to the West Coast. LOVE.
Since we were just a few blocks from Times Square and riding quite the high from all the laughter, we wandered over to catch a glimpse of all the lights. I didn't have the nice camera with me so we talked about going back Friday night again.

 For some reason, we walked back to the hotel another .7 miles. I was wearing cheap wedge shoes from Payless and my dogs were barkin'. OUCH. Another New York day and night in the books. And what a full day and night it was.

Tomorrow, Central Park!

No comments: