Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Washington DC Day 1

We left for DC on a Saturday night. We planned to sleep on the red-eye flight that would land at 7:00 a.m. but that just didn't happen. We were pretty tired when we got there and we hoped that we would be able to get into our hotel room upon arrival. We got lucky! The Melrose Hotel allowed us to check in so we hit the hay and slept for a couple of hours. I was a bit anxious about losing sightseeing time but we really needed to sleep.

When we woke up, we walked about three blocks to the Metro station and took the short ride out to Arlington National Cemetery.

 The Women's memorial. The exhibit hall was closed sadly.

 The house at the top of the pictures is the Arlington House

 The Eternal Flame at JFK's burial site
 JFK and Jackie O

 The Tomb of the Unknown Solider. Did you know there is an unknown soldier for each conflict?

We got to see the changing of the guards which was amazing. So precise!

We had planned to go to the Pentagon after Arlington but we were super hungry so we took the Metro back into town and ate lunch before heading off to our next site!

 Ford's Theatre, the place where Honest Abe was shot.

 The balcony where he sat to watch the play

 There are so many beautiful buildings and churches in DC. This church was erected in 1792. The architecture is amazing!

 The Museum of American History was awesome. I loved seeing the path of our country including the flag that inspired the Star Spangled Banner and so many other interesting artifacts dating back hundreds of years.

 From The First Lady exhibit. Dresses from inaugural balls. Beautiful!

The Smithsonian Building and Castle, which used to hold everything that the Smithsonian collected. Beautiful building!
We were pretty exhausted, hot and sweaty after our long day so we left the museum and plopped down on a bench at The National Mall. There was actually a nice breeze floating by and with the Washington Monument to our right, The Capitol Building to our left, I didn't have much to complain about. So we jumped. We jumped for joy.

 We walked to the Metro station and made our way to the Capitol Hill neighborhood to eat dinner at Ted's Bulletin. YUM! The food was great and the ambiance was fun. They had old timey movies playing on a large screen and the milkshake I had really hit the spot after a long day.

We took the metro back to our hotel and called it a night. Onward to Day 2 tomorrow!


Tiffany said...

My cousin just went to DC and got engaged on a bench between the Smithsonian and the Washington Monument! I wonder if you were in the same place?

Patty said...

I just got back from my roadtrip last night, and the first thing I looked for on Google reader this morning was your blog to read about how your trip went! I'm excited to read about the rest. You guys are too cute with your jumping pictures!