I also don't have a picture of the finish product but I made it look pretty by sprinkling cinnamon sugar on top of the frosting. The pictures below are of the filling process. I picked up this cupcake corer at a baking supply shop. It is super easy to use and comes with two size options. I used the smaller, more narrow core but the wider size would be pretty good to use with jumbo cupcakes as well. I put the filling in a Ziploc bag and cut a small corner off. Because it is cream cheese based, it softened pretty fast when I was filling so I would suggest coring each cupcake first and filling all at once. I also just cut off the majority of the core and put the top back in the cupcake since that was all that would fit over the filling.
The flavor of these cupcakes was almost exactly like a snickerdoodle cupcake. I was thrilled! The only downside is they need to remain in the fridge due to the cream cheese filling. I think next time, I will make the filling with frosting or something else that doesn't need to be refrigerated since I don't like my cupcakes cold.
Recipe from: www.wilton.com
- 1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 eggs
- Easy-Add pure vanilla extract Add to shopping list pure vanilla extract
- Easy-Add no-color almond extract Add to shopping list no-color almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
*I also added cinnamon since I wanted more flavor to the actual cupcake
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup milk
- Easy-Add Meringue Powder Add to shopping list Meringue Powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
Makes:About 24 cupcakes. (12 jumbo cupcakes)
Step 1Cupcake Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. In mixer bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
4. Mix in vanilla and almond flavor.
5. Mix flour with baking powder and salt.
6. Add flour mixture alternately with milk, starting with the flour.
7. Pour into prepared pans.
8. Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
9. Cool 10 minutes in pan on rack; remove and cool completely before decorating.
Step 2Filling Directions
1. In large bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, cinnamon and milk.
2. Beat with mixer until well blended.
3. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Fill cupcakes. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Step 3Icing Directions
1. Beat meringue powder and 1/2 cup cold water until stiff, about 4 minutes.
2. In microwave safe bowl stir sugar, corn syrup and 1/2 cup water.
3. In microwave bring syrup mixture to a boil (approx. 5 minutes).
4. Remove, let mixture cool slightly (1-2 minutes).
5. Slowly add syrup to meringue mixture.
6. Beat on HIGH for 4 minutes.
For top of range: Mix sugar, corn syrup and water in 2 qt. saucepan. Bring to boil; cool slightly and follow directions above.
Step 4Special Hint
Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top of the icing for a traditional flavor!