Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Yesterday at Walmart

I saw a man strike his wife in the arm with his cane yesterday. It was disturbing to say the least.

I was waiting in the oil change area for the young man to get the details on my car and an older couple (late 60's-early 70's, I'd guess) were standing about 20 feet away. He arrived in one vehicle, she in another. He hit an orange cone with his cane, which got our attention in the first place. They had some words with each other as I continued to look their way.

Then, he raised his cane in the air and I gasped and yelled out, "No, no no!" He hesitated, not taking his eyes off of her and then SMACK. He hit her in the arm. She yelped and started to cry. We stood there in shock. The young employee walked over to his supervisor and explained what happened. I continued to be frozen, watching to make sure he wouldn't do it again. I couldn't believe what I just saw. I asked the young man when he came back if we should do something. He wasn't sure. As the man started to walk towards his car, I grabbed a pen and piece of paper from my car and jotted down the license plate number. For some reason, I was hesitant to call the police.

After he left, we walked over to the lady and I asked her if I should call the police. She insisted that I didn't. We asked if she was okay. She was crying and said she was fine. My stomach was a pit and my heart was broken. The employee finished getting my car information and I told him that I would be back in an hour, that I was walking down to the gym.

As I started to walk away, I had to hold back tears. I was so upset. I had to call the police. I made the call, gave them the information and continued my walk to the gym, kicking myself for not calling immediately after the incident. Just a few minutes after the call, I saw a police officer speeding towards Walmart, he even put his lights on to get through a red light.

When I arrived at the gym, my phone rang. It was the police department again. They wanted some more information. After being on hold for 10 minutes, I told them I left the paper with the license plate number in my car at Walmart but they were more than welcome to retrieve it. I felt relieved that I had done everything I could possibly to do help this woman.

My workout wasn't like I had planned due to being very distracted so I just ran/walked for 20 minutes before walking back to get my car. My friend Melissa called me (I sent her a text about this, her husband is in LE) and I felt so much better after verbalizing what had happened to another person.

Once I arrived at Walmart to get my car, an employee (not the one who helped me) asked if the police got in touch with me and I said yes. I asked if they got the paper out of my car but he said he didn't think so and they can't authorize anyone to go into vehicles that are in their care. That was a bit of a let down and I considered calling them back to see if I could give them the number but the employee said the lady had talked to the police and said she didn't want to do anything-her husband was crazy and it wasn't a big deal.

I was so sad. Sad for that woman who no doubt has had this happen to her before. Sad for their kids who might know their father beats their mother and sad for myself and those other people who had to watch that happen.

I'm very glad that I called the police. It was my first time calling for something other than loud music being played or a fire I spotted on the freeway. In the future, I won't hesitate to call if something like this happens in front of me again. I hope that guy gets what is coming to him.

No comments: